BRAZEAU HYDRO PUMPED STORAGE
A potential to generate up to 900 MW of renewable energy in Alberta
INNOVATIVE ENERGY GENERATION WORKS LIKE A ‘RECHARGEABLE BATTERY’
One of the first pumped storage facilities in Canada, Brazeau works like a rechargeable battery to pump energy when prices and demand are low, storing it to meet the need when prices and demand are higher. Learn more about pumped storage here.
LEADING CANADIAN HYDRO INNOVATION
- Creating local jobs and investing more than $1.8 billion dollars in Alberta’s economy – made in Alberta, for Alberta
- Power to your homes and businesses with renewable generation
- Supports the power grid when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine – backstopping intermittent renewable sources
- Investing in the future – long-term renewable generation with a 100+ year life span
- Ensuring competitive electricity costs to support provincial economic growth
A UNIQUE COLLABORATION WITH THE PROVINCE AND COMMUNITIES
“We’re able to use what’s been built in the sixties and what Mother Nature has provided. We’re not adding a lot of infrastructure to be able to make this happen. This project is going to provide Albertans with lower power prices and a stable grid in a place where power is needed.
– Keith Yasinski, Project Manager, Brazeau Hydro Expansion
TALK TO US
Do you have a favorite camping or fishing spot, or a treasured birdwatching place? We want to hear how you are using the Brazeau area for recreation.
Fill out our survey to let us know!
STAY IN THE LOOP
What to get updates of news about the project? Sign up for our mailing list and get stories, calls for RFP’s and other materials to keep you in the know.
TransAlta will use your email address solely to provide you with information about the Brazeau Hydro project and will not disclose your email to any third parties.