A 10-YEAR PROJECT . . . TO LAST A CENTURY
Building capacity for increased renewables in Alberta as we transition to a low-carbon economy
- Located on TransAlta and Crown Land
- Transmission and utility corridors already in place—minimizing the need for new towers
- Close to provincial electrical demand
- Close to labour supply, roads and rail
- Allows for increased renewable development by balancing intermittent generation from solar and wind
- More flexibility in upstream water management for flood mitigation
Brazeau currently generates 355 MW of power. This project will more than double that generation, while putting hundreds of Albertans to work and attracting new capital to Alberta.
WORK IN PROGRESS
WHAT IS PUMPED STORAGE?
Brazeau Hydro will store water for renewable generation in two reservoirs.
When demand is low, just like recharging a battery, the water is pumped up from the lower reservoir and stored in the upper reservoir.
When demand is high the system is reversed and gravity is used to generate renewable electricity.
HOW TO WORK WITH US
Want to get updates on RFPs, or other business news about the Brazeau Hydro Expansion? Sign up for our mailing list
TransAlta will use your email address solely to provide you with information about the Brazeau Hydro project and will not disclose your email to any third parties.